Affiliation: Howard University and University Hospital
Location: Washington DC
Phone: (202) 806-7216
Satya Ranjan Bose, Ph.D., DABR
SUMMARY OF EXPERIENCE
- Board certified (DABR) licensed medical physicist to practice medical physics
- Oversee the use of licensed materials for clinical and research activities at Howard University Hospital (HUH) and Howard University (HU) in order to be in compliance with NRC and the District of Columbia regulations
- Conduct Radiation Safety Committee meetings per US NRC regulations
- Supervise all employees working under my direction in Radiation Safety program
- Oversee overall clinical medical physics and dosimetry activities of the department
- Perform treatment plans and advise dosimetrist in generating treatment plans for external beam therapy (3D & IMRT) using Elekta XIO software.
- Review treatment plans performed by the dosimetrists
- Writing Material License to amend NRC license for HDR treatments
- HDR plans using Varian BrachyVision treatment planning system
- Perform Prostate seed implants (pre- & post) using Varian Variseed program
- Perform QA on HDR BrachyVision afterloader system
- Perform QA on IMRT treatment plans
- Perform prostate seed implants pre- & post plans.
- Perform QA on Elekta Synery & Varian Linear accelerators
- Dose verification on using TLD, diode & micro dosimetry systems
- Physics weekly chart review using Mosaiq and Varian Aria R&V systems
- Radiation protection surveys, seeds assay, inventory & safety procedures in compliance with State and NRC regulations.
- Teaching medical physics to Residents, Radiation Safety Courses to Technological Staff and Radiation workers
- Writing the new policy and procedures for High Dose Rate (HDR) brachytherapy and Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT) procedures
- Implementing medical physics Quality Management & Quality Assurance programs for the Radiation Oncology department according to AAPM’s Task Group protocols
- Conduct R& D activities and publish research papers in Radiation Oncology Physics
- Ph.D., Nuclear Engineering with minor in Medical Physics from the University of Virginia (UVA), Charlottesville, Virginia in 2000. Specialization in Boron Neutron Capture Therapy Research using epithermal neutron beam for treatment of brain tumor.
- M.S., Nuclear Engineering from the University of Arizona (UA), Tucson, Arizona in 1996. Specialized in Radioactive Waste Management and Environmental Monitoring Research.
- M.S., Nuclear Engineering from the. University of Virginia (UVA), Charlottesville, Virginia in 1988. Specialized in Health Physics & Radiation Protection.
- M.S., Chemistry from the University of Chittagong (CU), Bangladesh.in 1977. Specialized in Organic Chemistry.
- B.S., from the University of Dhaka (DU), Bangladesh in 1972 in basic science majoring in Chemistry, Physics & Mathematics.
- Chief Physicist and Assistant Professor, 4/12 – present. Department of Radiation Oncology, Howard University Hospital (HUH) & Assistant Professor for College of Medicine, Health Sciences.
- Director of Radiation Safety and Radiation Safety Officer, 4/12 – present. Howard University (HU) and HUH, Washington DC.
- Chief Medical Physicist, 5/2009-4/2010. Radiotherapy Associates of Upstate New York, Syracuse, NY.
- Consulting Medical Physicist, 12/06-3/09. Walter Reed Army Medical Center (WRAMC), Washington DC.
- Clinical Assistant Professor, 06/02–December 02, 2006, Radiation Oncology Department, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC), Pittsburgh, PA.
- Radiation Oncology Physicist , 05/01-05/02, Radiation Oncology Department, US Oncology, Longview Cancer Center, Longview, TX 75601.
- Medical Physicist, 05/00-5/01, Radiation Oncology Department, Saint Francis Hospital and Medical Center, Topeka, KS.
- Radiological Physicist, 12/97-4/26/00, Radiological Physics Division, Department of Radiation Oncology, Medical Center, UVA.
- Research Specialist, Senior, 5/96-11/97. Department of Mechanical, Aerospace and Nuclear Engineering, UVA.
- Health Physicist (student position), 5/93-4/96. Radiation Control Office, UA, Tucson.
- Operator for Cobalt-60 Irradiation Facility (student position), 5/93-4/96. Department of Nuclear and Energy Engineering, UA, Tucson
- Senior Scientific Officer, 1/87-5/92. Health Physics Division, Bangladesh Atomic Energy Commission (BAEC), Dhaka, Bangladesh
- IAEA Fellow and Research Assistant, 8/86-8/87 and 9/87-5/88. Department of Nuclear Engineering, UVA, Charlottesville
- Scientific Officer, 5/78-12/86. Health Physics Division, BAEC, Dhaka, Bangladesh
PROFESSIONAL SOCIETY MEMBERSHIPS
- Member American Association of Medical Physicists (AAPM), 2001
- Member American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology (ASTRO), 2004
- Member Penn-Ohio Chapter for AAPM, 2003
- Member Mid-Atlantic AAPM local chapter, 2009
- Member Alpha Nu Sigma Honor Society, 1993
- Member Health Physics Society, 1993.
HONORS AND HONORS
- Deans Fellowship, School of Engineering and Applied Science, UVA, 1999.
- UA Teaching Assistantship, 1992-1996
- UA graduate tuition & registration scholarship, 1992-95
- UA Hilberry scholarship, 1993-94;
- IAEA fellowship on Planning, Organization and Implementation of Radiation Protection, 1992; IAEA fellowship on Radiation Protection, 1986-87.
- UVa Research Assistantship, 1988.